Wednesday 26 June 2013

Period Survival Kit

Hey there :)

Now, I know this isn't really the most glamorous of topics, but we're all friends here and we shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about anything, especially about something as significant in a womans life.

I, and probably many others out there, suffer from crippling menstrual pains. Believe me, I'm not exaggerating, for the first couple of days of my cycle I find myself unable to move and if I do I get a strong need to be physically sick. I also find it hard to control my mood, if someone says the wrong thing and does something to annoy me, I will turn from a cute, little, fluffy kitten into a raging tiger at the flip of a hat. Although my mood is completely out of my control, I feel consumed with guilt once i've calmed down for shouting, snapping and being a general bitch to those closest to me. Anyway, enough babbling, I thought I would share with you a few things that I find make the experience a little more bearable...

 

 

1. Feminax - There are tons of different pain killers out there, you just need to find the one best suited to you, but in my experience Feminax is the only one that makes a real different. It's made up of Ibuprofen Lysine, a non-steriodal anti-inflammatory which works to reduce pain, fever and swelling, and my god it's good! Within about 5 minutes of taking one, you can feel your pain slowly fade away...it lasts for about 4 hours, which is fine as you can take two every 4 hours anyway. I would recommend this to anyone, especially if you're someone who often gets headaches/migraines, this bad boy will sort you right out!

 

2. Witch Blemish Pen - Like many women at this time of month, I tend to get quite a few blemishes dotted about my face which are normally quite hard to disguise, so this is a life saver!... With it's easy to use brush applicator, you apply the product (as much and as often as you want) directly onto the blemish and within 2 hours it dramatically reduces the size and redness or the blemish. It doesn't get rid of the problem area completely, but it does make it easier to cover, which is all I need.

 

3. Collection 2000 Lasting Perfection Concealer - When it comes to makeup, I really can't be bothered with the whole time consuming routine, but I do want to look presentable and have relatively good skin without using tons of products. Collection 2000 has to be the most famous concealer in the beauty community, and for me it's a real saviour. I apply It on every blemish, around the nose and under the eyes and gently buff it in to the skin. It might not give you that amazing, summer glow but it evens the skin tone and hides flaws, without having to cover the entire face. However, I would like to note that if you have dry skin, it does flake a little around the eye so I would suggest using a little extra moisturiser or some Eight Hour Cream and it should go on a lot easier and give you far better finish.

 

4. Rimmel Scandaleyes Eye Shadow Stick, 002 Bulletproof Beige - Even though I don't want to make too much of an effort with the old makeup, I never really feel right without a sweep of something over the lids, and at this time of the month, it has to be able to last all day without me having to worry about checking it. These little bad boys are great, you just scribble a small amount on the lid and then blend it in using either your ring finger or a soft shadow brush. This colour in particular is really lovely, its a gorgeous shimmery gold that would suit any skin and brightens my green eyes beautifully.

 

5. Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express Mascara - I know a lot of people don't feel complete without mascara and I'm no different. Much like the eyeshadow, I need a reliable mascara with plenty of staying power, and this definitely has that. It has a thick, curved, soft bristled wand which allows you to get perfectly curled and dramatically vollumized lashes. This is great because it helps wake up those tired eyes, and lets face it, this is a particularly energy draining time.

 

6. Lip Balm - There is never a time I don't require lip balm, I always have super dry/sore lips that desperately need moisture. When I'm being extra lazy I'll finish the look off with a light coat, It saves me the worry of checking it hasn't smudged/left me with patches. The two features here are...Jason Lips Bee Healthier and original Chapstick, they're both extremely moisturising and an equally good job but the Jason one is a little more strong in scent (aloe and honey) and taste so if you don't like that in a lip balm I wouldn't recommend it.

7. Revlon Lip Butter, Berry Smoothie - I've bigged up the Revlon Lip Butters quite a few times on here, so I'll keep it short... If I'm feeling the need for a bit more colour I'll use this, it's a gorgeous light rose shade with rose gold glittery bits and it's equally as moisturising as a lip balm. It can also be doubled up as a blush to give me a healthy, flushed cheek, perfect!

 

8. Ben & Jerry's - Last but by no means least is ice-cream!! Some women crave chocolate but for me it's a tub of Ben & Jerry's... I'll sit all curled up with a spoon and slowly work my way through entire tub (yes, I know I'm greedy but helps ease the pain!). My favourite flavour has to Half Baked or Vermonster, but I'll eat whatever I'm given...

 

 

So that was some of the things that make that time of the month a little bit easier. I know it's not the nicest of topics but it's something we have to live with so we might as well share our tips and tricks that get us through this tough time...

 

Thanks for reading x

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I love your blog great work! Please come and have a look at mine, if you decide to follow me I’ll follow you back :) XxX

    http://lifewithalipglosssmile.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete